WELCOME TO TURKEY, TEXAS!
Turkey is located in southwestern Hall County 42 miles south of Clarendon and 28 miles north of Matador. Texas State Highway 86 runs through the center of Turkey as Main Street, leading east 30 miles (48 km) to Estelline and west 53 miles (85 km) to Tulia.
As of the census of 2000, 494 people, 207 households, and 127 families resided in the city.
A tall monument standing on edge within city limits of Turkey, honors the former musician Bob Wills, who was considered by authorities as the co-founder of Western swing. Bob Wills is still celebrated here in Turkey on the Last Saturday in April of every year. Visit the BOB WILLS DAY site for more information!
Turkey is also home to the first Phillips 66 service station built in Texas. The station opened on July 27, 1928, on the corner of 5th Street and Main in Turkey, Texas. In January 2019, this service station was recognized by the Texas Historical Commission as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.